Happy Oscar Day everyone! Gnomeo and Juliet stormed late in the weekend to take a narrow weekend box office lead, earning $14.2 million in its third weekend. It barely edged out the opening weekend of the marriage-comedy Hall Pass which netted $13.4 in its opening weekend.
Unknown finished third with $12.4 million, while I Am Number Four just missed out on a suite of punny headlines, by finishing in 5th. It earned $11 million in its second weekend.
In 9th, Nicolas Cage has proven that he is utterly irrelevant at the box office, offering his second flop of the short year. Drive Angry missed completely, earning only $5.1 million in its opening weekend.
Next week sees 4 wide releases, including my most-anticipated film of the early year: The Adjustment Bureau. However, it’s opening against what will probably be an animated juggernaut, as Rango has strong reviews and Johnny Depp on its side. Look for Rango to handily win the weekend. Also opening are 80’s comedy Take Me Home Tonight, and the teen fantasy Beastly.
Check out the top 10 (movie- weekend; total)
1. Gnomeo and Juliet– $14,213,000; $75,147,000
2. Hall Pass– $13,420,000; $13,420,000 (debut)
3. Unknown– $12,435,000; $42,840,000
4. Just Go With It– $11,100,000; $79,355,000
5. I Am Number Four– $11,036,000; $37,744,000
6. Justin Bieber: Never Say Never– $9,200,000; $62,776,000
7. The King’s Speech– $7,618,000; $114,509,000
8. Big Mommas: Like Father, Like Son– $7,550,000; $28,574,000
9. Drive Angry– $5,131,000; $5,131,000 (debut)
10. The Roommate– $2,050,000; $35,928,000
Will you see Drive Angry, ever? What will you catch next weekend?