Although it was rumored for quite some time, it looked the Farrellys were actually going to return to their break-out hit Dumb and Dumber with a sequel, following up The Three Stooges earlier this year. But this summer a major roadblock came as one-half of the duo, Jim Carrey, said he was leaving the project due to problems with lack of studio interest on the film.
Things are looking to get back on track though, as The Newsroom star Jeff Daniels told WENN that “Jim wants to do it, I want to do it, the Farrellys want to do it.” But it looks production will miss the rumored fall production start, as Daniels said the script is still being worked on and they were “almost able to get it done” by this year, but they are “all hoping that it’ll come together early next year.”
With a string of duds from the directing duo, I remain hesitant on this follow-up. But if there’s anything that could get them to return to former comedic glory it could be the iconic characters of Harry and Lloyd and the original actors returning. I just hope this one doesn’t become another Ghostbusters 3, or any other return to a franchise that like won’t happen, yet be talked about for years and years.
Do you want to see a Dumb and Dumber sequel?
Film Society of Lincoln Center To commemorate her passing, free screenings of Chantal Akerman‘s Jeanne Dielman (on 35mm) and her self-portrait Chantal Akerman by Chantal Akerman will screen for free on Friday. Hou Hsiao-hsien‘s The Boys from Fengkuei will play on Friday night, with Hou making an appearance. Museum of the Moving Image Frederick Wiseman‘s […]
Latest posts from The Film Stage