The onslaught of best-of-the-year lists from guilds and critics groups have only just begun, but one of the few of genuine interest each year comes from a single person: the wonderfully eccentric director John Waters, whose eclectic tastes always includes a mix of the unexpected and underseen.
Topping his list this year is Edgar Wright’s action-romance Baby Driver, which was a bright spot this past summer. Also named is one of the best-directed films of the year—and one that should be getting more love in year-end wrap-ups—Bertrand Bonello’s uncompromising Nocturama. Waters also includes a pair of Amazon Studios releases: Wonderstruck and Wonder Wheel, as well as an early 2018 release we’re looking forward to, The Strange Ones.
Check out the list below courtesy of Chaos Reigns.
1. Baby Driver (Edgar Wright)
2. I, Olga Hepnarová (Tomáš Weinreb & Petr Kazda)
3. The Strange Ones (Christopher Radcliff & Lauren Wolkstein)
4. Nocturama (Bertrand Bonello)
5. Wonderstruck (Todd Haynes)
6. Graduation (Christian Mungiu)
7. The Wizard of Lies (Barry Levinson)
8. Lady Macbeth (William Oldroyd)
9. Wonder Wheel (Woody Allen)
10. Tom of Finland (Dome Karukoski)
Do you share any favorites with Waters?