The early estimates for the weekend box office are too close to call, with The Last Exorcism barely ahead of Takers. The two debuts earned $21.3 million and $21 million respectively. With such a small margin, these two could easily switch places on a busy Sunday.
Meanwhile, action-porn The Expendables continued to earn in its third week, grossing another $9.5 million, bringing its total to $82 million, in third place. It finished just ahead of Eat Pray Love which earned another $7 million, $60.7 million total.
Inception in its 7th week finished in 7th, earning $5 million, with $270 million overall domestically. Elsewhere, Avatar: Special Edition earned another insulting $4 million for the Avatar franchise in its debut, outside of the top 10. Avatar has now earned a stupid amount of money, crossing $750m domestically.
Check out the top 10 estimates: (movie- weekend; total)
1. The Last Exorcism – $21,300,000; $21,300,000 (debut)
2. Takers – $21,000,000; $21,000,000 (debut)
3. The Expendables – $9,500,000; $82,010,000
4. Eat Pray Love – $7,000,000; $60,716,000
5. The Other Guys – $6,600,000; $99,300,000
6. Vampires Suck – $5,300,000; $27,912,000
7. Inception – $5,105,000; $270,749,000
8. Nanny McPhee Returns – $4,743,000; $17,020,000
9. The Switch– $4,658,000; $16,484,000
10. Piranha 3D– $4,308,000; $18,272,000
What did you see this weekend?
Welcome, one and all, to the newest episode of The Film Stage Roundtable, a spin-off podcast from the madmen who bring you The Film Stage Show. On this show, we discuss our favorite food-related movies and then we talk about crying at the movies. Give a listen, and then share your thoughts on Twitter and Facebook. Let us know what […]
Latest posts from The Film Stage