In its eighth week, Avatar finally fell from the top of the box office, relinquishing number one to the debut Dear John. The highest grossing film of all-time (unadjusted) finished with $23.6 million, nearly $10 million short of of the wartime drama, which totaled $32.4 million this weekend (Recall that Lost In Space ended Titanic‘s reign all those years ago).
James Cameron‘s cashcow has now raked in $630 million domestically. From Paris With Love debuted in third with $8,120,000.
Of note, Crazy Heart cracked into the top 10, with $3,650,000 in its eighth week. Riding the tails of its Best Actor and Best Song nominations (and probable victories), it had its highest grossing week.
Check out the top 10: (movie- weekend; total)
1. Dear John– $32,400,000; $32,400,000 (debut)
2. Avatar– $23,600,000; $630,093,000
3. From Paris With Love– $8,120,000; $8,120,000 (debut)
4. Edge of Darkness– $7,005,000; $29,097,000
5. Tooth Fairy– $6,500,000; $34,333,000
6. When in Rome– $5,504,000; $20,899,000
7. The Book of Eli– $4,835,000; $82,163,000
8. Crazy Heart– $3,650,000; $11,188,000
9. Legion– $3,400,000; $34,678,000
10. Sherlock Holmes– $2,630,000; $201,579,000
What do you think of Dear John usurping the thrown? How long will the Avatar ball roll?
Latest posts from The Film Stage