The early estimates for the weekend box office are too close to call, with The Last Exorcism barely ahead of Takers. The two debuts earned $21.3 million and $21 million respectively. With such a small margin, these two could easily switch places on a busy Sunday.
Meanwhile, action-porn The Expendables continued to earn in its third week, grossing another $9.5 million, bringing its total to $82 million, in third place. It finished just ahead of Eat Pray Love which earned another $7 million, $60.7 million total.
Inception in its 7th week finished in 7th, earning $5 million, with $270 million overall domestically. Elsewhere, Avatar: Special Edition earned another insulting $4 million for the Avatar franchise in its debut, outside of the top 10. Avatar has now earned a stupid amount of money, crossing $750m domestically.
Check out the top 10 estimates: (movie- weekend; total)
1. The Last Exorcism - $21,300,000; $21,300,000 (debut)
2. Takers - $21,000,000; $21,000,000 (debut)
3. The Expendables - $9,500,000; $82,010,000
4. Eat Pray Love – $7,000,000; $60,716,000
5. The Other Guys - $6,600,000; $99,300,000
6. Vampires Suck - $5,300,000; $27,912,000
7. Inception - $5,105,000; $270,749,000
8. Nanny McPhee Returns – $4,743,000; $17,020,000
9. The Switch- $4,658,000; $16,484,000
10. Piranha 3D- $4,308,000; $18,272,000
What did you see this weekend?
Since any New York City cinephile has a nearly suffocating wealth of theatrical options, we figured it’d be best to compile some of the more worthwhile repertory showings into one handy list. Displayed below are a few of the city’s most reliable theaters and links to screenings of their weekend offerings — films you’re not […]
With a seemingly endless amount of streaming options — not only the titles at our disposal, but services themselves — we’ve taken it upon ourselves to highlight the titles that have recently hit the interwebs. Every week, one will be able to see the cream of the crop (or perhaps some simply interesting picks) of streaming […]
Latest posts from Beats Per Minute