In its eighth week, Avatar finally fell from the top of the box office, relinquishing number one to the debut Dear John. The highest grossing film of all-time (unadjusted) finished with $23.6 million, nearly $10 million short of of the wartime drama, which totaled $32.4 million this weekend (Recall that Lost In Space ended Titanic‘s reign all those years ago).
James Cameron‘s cashcow has now raked in $630 million domestically. From Paris With Love debuted in third with $8,120,000.
Of note, Crazy Heart cracked into the top 10, with $3,650,000 in its eighth week. Riding the tails of its Best Actor and Best Song nominations (and probable victories), it had its highest grossing week.
Check out the top 10: (movie- weekend; total)
1. Dear John- $32,400,000; $32,400,000 (debut)
2. Avatar- $23,600,000; $630,093,000
3. From Paris With Love- $8,120,000; $8,120,000 (debut)
4. Edge of Darkness- $7,005,000; $29,097,000
5. Tooth Fairy- $6,500,000; $34,333,000
6. When in Rome- $5,504,000; $20,899,000
7. The Book of Eli- $4,835,000; $82,163,000
8. Crazy Heart- $3,650,000; $11,188,000
9. Legion- $3,400,000; $34,678,000
10. Sherlock Holmes- $2,630,000; $201,579,000
What do you think of Dear John usurping the thrown? How long will the Avatar ball roll?
Since any New York City cinephile has an almost suffocating wealth of theatrical options, we figured it’d be best to compile some of the more worthwhile repertory showings into one handy list. Displayed below are a few of the city’s most reliable theaters and links to screenings of their weekend offerings — films you’re not [...]
One of the most highly anticipated films of the Cannes Film Festivals was unveiled this morning to a divisive response, Nicolas Winding Refn‘s Only God Forgives. As we said in our review, “set amidst an underground Muay Thai boxing club and glowing with hellish red lights from countless brothels, the mood and style is more [...]
Latest posts from Beats Per Minute