In its eighth week, Avatar finally fell from the top of the box office, relinquishing number one to the debut Dear John. The highest grossing film of all-time (unadjusted) finished with $23.6 million, nearly $10 million short of of the wartime drama, which totaled $32.4 million this weekend (Recall that Lost In Space ended Titanic‘s reign all those years ago).
James Cameron‘s cashcow has now raked in $630 million domestically. From Paris With Love debuted in third with $8,120,000.
Of note, Crazy Heart cracked into the top 10, with $3,650,000 in its eighth week. Riding the tails of its Best Actor and Best Song nominations (and probable victories), it had its highest grossing week.
Check out the top 10: (movie- weekend; total)
1. Dear John- $32,400,000; $32,400,000 (debut)
2. Avatar- $23,600,000; $630,093,000
3. From Paris With Love- $8,120,000; $8,120,000 (debut)
4. Edge of Darkness- $7,005,000; $29,097,000
5. Tooth Fairy- $6,500,000; $34,333,000
6. When in Rome- $5,504,000; $20,899,000
7. The Book of Eli- $4,835,000; $82,163,000
8. Crazy Heart- $3,650,000; $11,188,000
9. Legion- $3,400,000; $34,678,000
10. Sherlock Holmes- $2,630,000; $201,579,000
What do you think of Dear John usurping the thrown? How long will the Avatar ball roll?
Film has always been inherent to hip-hop superstar RZA, whether it be the numerous samples from classic martial arts movies that appeared in a variety of Wu-Tang Clan songs, or his acting and scoring collaborations with Quentin Tarantino and Jim Jarmusch. Though his latest film, Brick Mansions, sees him taking on an antagonistic role, allowing [...]
As much as we’d love to believe certain myths, no filmmaker has simply waltzed into making a masterpiece without cutting their teeth beforehand. Jaws may have been the first modern blockbuster, but Spielberg had already created a terrifying beast with the mechanical semi-truck in a made-for-television film, Duel. Truffaut’s The 400 Blows remains among the [...]